THE COLONEL’S INN
formerly the McDonnell House
408 East Street
The original house, in 1835, was owned by Colonel Alexander McDonnell and his wife Isabella. It consisted of two rooms downstairs and three bedrooms upstairs. Located close to Fort Wellington, the house has strong military ties, such as the basement being set up as bunks where solders were billeted. The house was willed to the eldest McDonnell daughter, Sarah, who was a music teacher and the organist for St. Mark’s Church. It is rumoured that during this time the house served as a young ladies academy. In 1893, Sarah left the house to her sister Flora, the last surviving McDonnell, and Flora owned it until her death in 1905. A niece sold the house to Dennis Higgins in 1908. During the year 1910, major renovations took place. An addition was added, as well as three bathrooms, a wrap-around porch on the first level, and a sun porch on the second level. A carriage house and a greenhouse were also built on the property. The greenhouse no longer survives. The interior of the house reflects a wealthy, masculine taste of decorating. There are silk paintings on the dining hall ceiling believed to have been painted by the same artist who did the painting in St. Marks Church. There is faux leather trim-work surrounding the walls in the den and dining area, and oak paneling in two of the rooms of the elaborate house. The next owners were Jodie and David Cromb, who started the bed & breakfast business within their home. They renovated the Carriage House creating 3 modern guestrooms with period touches.
Geoff & Jane Hamilton, today’s present owners, are keeping the Colonel's doors open to Bed & Breakfast guests. "New management" fails to convey the pride this couple has taken in addressing the Inn's renewal. Helping the Inn age gracefully, many tasteful improvements have been made. New electrical and plumbing systems, three bathrooms, as well as, a smoke detection and fire alarm system have been added to better meet their guest needs.
Hospitality, safety, comfort and a warm welcome await your visit to the Colonel’s Inn.